Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Geeked For the Grammy's

I care more about music than sports. Not that I don't like sports. But if you think in terms of the guys that know every statistic of every major sport and athlete in college and the pros--well I'm not that big of a fan. I don't read sports magazines, watch Sports Center or ESPN for that matter (unless the pistons are on). It is entertainment, just not my thing. I played sports and collected baseball cards. I am in a fantasy football league and I watch the Pistons and know who most of them are and what positions they play. I also know a little about the sport of basketball. But my dedication ends there.

I'm a real music fan though. I know most of the grammy nominees. I've heard most of the music that is up for awards and I found that I own more than 75% of the records or albums that are up for nomination in the rock category. Most of the instrument playing bands I own. I know a good deal about the hip-hop and rap categories (because I read about them). I know about as much about country music as I do about hockey (next to nothing). But I know most of the names of the albums of all the nominated artists.

Music is my passion. I wake up with VH1 playing (they actually have videos if you wake up early enough). I have MTV2 and some other alternative music stations. I have over 2500 songs on my hard drive (mostly ripped from CD's that I own). I love music. I read Rolling Stone and I enjoy talking to musicians about music they way that Sports Fans like to talk about sports and read Mitch Albom articles.

My friendship with Tom i think compliments me. He is a huge sports fan. He loves it. He likes to talk with me about sports. I learn about sports from him. I still don't know who the new lions coach is. But i like to learn. It's just not my passion. Tom likes music too, but I think he knows I like it more than him in the respect that I know who he likes and doesn't even if he's never heard of them.

I have music on my cell phone. If you leave a text message it plays "All the things that I've done" by the Killers. My ring tone is "Vertigo" by U2. If you call me up instead of that annoying fake ringing sound, you hear "Constantinople" by They Might Be Giants (remember Particle Man?).

When I buy a car I think about the acoustics, and sound system. I never check to see if AM radio works. AM radio is for sportsfans. I might be a bigger sportsfan if they could talk about it on FM.

What I'm trying to say is, I'd like a new iPod.

2 comments:

shannoncaroland said...

I can't wait either

Regan Clem said...

Did the Grammy's happen already?